The Technical Centre for
Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA) has an opening for an intern within
the Policies, Markets and ICTs Programme, in Wageningen, Netherlands for a
period of six months starting in August, 2014. CTA is a joint international
institution of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States and the
European Union (EU). Its mission is to advance food and nutritional security,
increase prosperity and encourage sound natural resource management in ACP
countries. It facilitates access to information and knowledge; supports
evidence-based, multi-stakeholder development of agricultural policies and
strategies; promotes inclusive value chain development and use of ICTs and
strengthens the capacities of agricultural and rural development institutions
Background and Main Purpose of the
Since 2009 CTA has successfully
implemented a series of training events known as Web 2.0 and Social Media
Learning Opportunities in 35 ACP countries. This has resulted in approximately
3,000 trained people, 38% of whom women. Feedback from beneficiaries
(individuals and institutions) has been extremely positive. In May 2013 the
project was awarded the WSIS Project Prize 2013 in the category e-agriculture.
Each event lasts for 5 days and
accommodates approximately 25-28 trainees who are selected on the basis of
applications submitted after an open call. One day of the training is devoted
to the introduction to the IMARK module Social Media for Development. This
allows trainees to perfect their skills through self-learning. In 2014/2015,
CTA will extend the initiative to additional ACP countries in partnership with
local host institutions.
A CTA team coordinates the
implementation of the project. The intern will work under the guidance of the
project team leader (acting as mentor) and in collaboration with the other team
Under the guidance of his/her mentor,
the intern will carry out the following activities:
- Assist in the organization and follow-up of the Web 2.0
and Social Media Learning Opportunities.
- Interact and collaborate remotely with consultants,
host organizations and beneficiaries using cutting edge technology.
- Assist in gathering and processing data for M&E
purposes and for assessing project impact.
- Contribute to the analysis of the results of a planned
- Participate in updating the curriculum.
- Maintain the Web2fordev.net and pgis.cta.int web sites.
- Report on project activities via social media.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the mentor.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Recent graduate, 29 years old maximum.
- National of one of the ACP or EU States signatory to the
Cotonou Agreement (79 African, Caribbean and Pacific States and the European Union Member States).
- University degree in ICT or communication-related
- Experience and keen interest in the area of ICTs, Web
2.0 and Social Media.
- Knowledge in managing CMS (Joomla) is welcome.
- Good organization, inter-personal and communication
- Thorough knowledge of one of the Centre's two working
languages (French or English) and a satisfactory knowledge of the other.
- Participation in CTA activities will give you an
invaluable experience at international level.
- Internship stipend (800 per month for holder of a
Bachelor's degree, 1,000 for holder of a Master's degree).
- Payment of travel costs when joining and leaving the
- Medical coverage for emergency cases of sickness and
accident during the internship.
Interested candidates are required
to send the documents listed below via email to Pascal Deleu, Human Resources
Officer. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate in the
"Subject" of the email the title 'ICT4D and Web2forDev internship
- A letter of motivation (maximum one page explaining why
the candidate considers that he/she is in a position to successfully
contribute to project implementation and what he/she expects to gain from
the internship. The date of earliest availability should be specified as
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, preferably EUROPASS format;
- Copies of the highest diploma/degree as well as
training certificates related to the position. Original documents are to
be presented once a candidate is selected.
- Two letters of recommendation and/or references.
Deadline for applications: 30 May
2014. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.